- Use small, firm cucumbers. This is, hands-down, the most important!
- Jar them immediately after picking, or as soon as possible.
- Soak cucumbers in an ice water bath for a couple hours.
- Cut off the blossom end of cucumber.
- Add tannins to the jar.
What are the 3 basic ingredients in pickling?
- Vinegar. There are two options when choosing the best vinegar for pickling.
- Salt. There are multiple choices for which salts to use when pickling food.
- Water. Water is the last of the three main ingredients you must have to pickle foods properly.
- Optional Ingredients.
What are the three 3 types of dill pickles?
Pickles can be made using one of three methods: refrigeration, fresh packed, or processed. All three achieve the same pickling end goal, but employ different strategies to get there, mostly involving the amount of brine—and the amount of time—the process involves.
What ingredient keeps pickles crisp?
Never peel cucumbers before making homemade pickles. Add tannins. Include a couple grape leaves, horseradish leaves, oak leaves or black tea leaves in each jar. The natural tannins found in these leaves help homemade pickles stay crisp.