Carbonara pasta. It’s all in the name, carbonara.
Much as we love carbonara (and carbs…usually), Charleh’s come up with a way to get your carbonara without the carbs. Or without most of the carbs.
The result? “Onara“ *googles Onara*
…scratch that, let’s just call it Low Carb Carbonara…
- 100g Pancetta
- 50g Vio Life Regular Cheese
- 50g Vio Life Parmesan Cheese
- 3 Large Eggs
- 500g Spiralized Courgette and Butternut Squash
- 2 Plump Garlic Cloves, Peeled and Left Whole
- 50g Coconut Oil
- Dairy Free Milk (I Used Coconut Milk)
- Pink Salt and Freshly Grated Black Pepper
- Put a large steamer with water on to boil.
- Finely chop the pancetta, having first removed any rind.
- Squash the garlic with the blade of a knife, just to bruise it.
- In a separate bowl, finely grate both cheeses and mix them together. With the Violife Regular Cheese, I used a very sharp knife and finely diced.
- Beat the eggs in a medium bowl, season with a little freshly grated black pepper and set everything aside.
- To the boiling water, add the spiralized courgette and butternut squash into the steamer to soften.
- Drop the coconut oil into a large wide frying pan or wok and, as soon as the oil has melted, tip in the pancetta and garlic.
- Leave these to cook on a medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until the pancetta is golden and crisp. The garlic has now imparted its flavour, so take it out with a slotted spoon and discard.
- Keep the heat under the pancetta on low. When the vegetables are ready lift it from the steamer, put it in the frying pan with the pancetta.
- Mix most of the cheese in with the eggs, keeping a small handful back for sprinkling over later.
- Take the pan of vegetables and pancetta off the heat.
- Now quickly pour in the eggs and cheese and, using the tongs or a long fork, lift up the spaghetti so it mixes easily with the egg mixture, which thickens but doesn’t scramble, and everything is coated.
- Add dairy free milk (I used coconut milk) to keep it saucy (several tablespoons should do it).
- Season with a little salt, if needed.
- Serve immediately with a little sprinkling of the remaining cheese and a grating of black pepper.