0 Flares 0 Flares ×
This easy fish cake recipe tastes so good! It puts leftover mashed potato to good use with canned tuna, chopped hard-boiled eggs and sweet corn, so it’s economical too.
Write a review
- 3 Eggs For Soldiers
- 2 x 160g cans tuna in brine or water, drained
- 500g ready-made mashed potato
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 100g canned or frozen sweet corn, thawed if frozen
- 100g dried breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- Vegetable oil, for shallow frying
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Mixed salad leaves and crusty bread, to serve
- Hard-boil 2 eggs in simmering water for 10-12 minutes. Drain them, then plunge them into cold water to cool quickly. Shell and chop them.
- Add the tuna, mashed potato, spring onions and sweet corn to the chopped eggs. Season with a little salt and freshly ground black pepper, then form into 4 large or 8 small fish cakes.
- Beat the remaining egg in a shallow bowl with 2 tbsp cold water. Mix the breadcrumbs and lemon zest together on a large plate. Dip the fish cakes in the egg, then coat in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan and shallow fry the fish cakes for 3-4 minutes on each side. Drain on kitchen paper, then serve with salad leaves and crusty bread.
- Cook’s tip: You can bake the fish cakes if you prefer not to shallow fry. Just bake them for 20-25 minutes in an oven preheated to 190°C / fan oven 170°C / Gas Mark 5.
- This recipe was made using Eggs for Soldiers, a Help for Heroes endorsed product which donates 15p from every pack sold to the charity. For more information and delicious recipes visit www.facebook.com/eggsforsoldiers
Tasting Britain http://tastingbritain.co.uk/